Before You Move


  • Fill out change of address order form for post office.
  • Fill out an IRS change of address form.
  • If you plan to keep residency in your state while at school, check into what arrangements need to be made regarding absentee voting for your state elections.
  • Make arrangements with moving company or reserve a rental truck.
  • Make travel arrangements, if necessary, with airlines, buses, car rental agencies and hotels.
  • Transfer memberships in clubs and civic organizations.
  • Obtain medical and dental records, x-rays and prescription histories. Ask your doctors and dentist for referrals and transfer prescriptions.
  • Set up a checking account in your new city. Check into the laws and requirements of your new city regarding home-based businesses, professional tests, business licenses and any special laws that might be applicable to you.
  • Take inventory of your belongings before they're packed, in the event you need to file an insurance claim later. If possible, take pictures or video tape your belongings. Record serial numbers of electronic equipment.
  • Make arrangements for transporting pets.
  • Start using up food items, so that there is less left to pack and possibly spoil.


  • Switch utility services to new address. Inform electric, disposal, water, newspaper, magazine subscription, telephone and cable companies of your move.
  • Arrange for help on moving day.
  • Confirm travel reservations.
  • Reserve elevator if moving from an apartment.
  • Have appliances serviced for moving.
  • Clean rugs and clothing and have them wrapped for moving.
  • Plan ahead for special needs of infants.
  • Close bank accounts and have your funds wired to your new bank. Before closing, be sure there are no outstanding checks or automatic payments that haven't been processed.
  • Collect valuables from safe-deposit box. Make copies of any important documents before mailing or hand carry them to your new address.
  • Check with your insurance agent to ensure you'll be covered through your homeowner's or renter's policy during the move.
  • Defrost freezer and refrigerator. Place deodorizer inside to control odors.
  • Give a close friend or relative your travel route and schedule so you may be reached if needed.


  • Double check closets, drawers, shelves, attic and garage to be sure they are empty.
  • Carry important documents, currency and jewelry yourself, or use registered mail. Be sure you know where your RBTC packet, including your RBTC acceptance letter, is located as well!
  • Carry travelers checks for quick, available funds.


  • Send or drop off the attached Change of Address Form to the RBTC Admissions Office so we will know how to communicate with you before school begins.  You may also e-mail us this information at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
  • Renew your driver's license, auto registration and tags.
  • PLEASE NOTE:  If you are maintaining residency in your home state while attending school at RHEMA, you will not need to get an Oklahoma tag and driver’s license AS LONG AS YOUR ARE A STUDENT IN GOOD STANDING.  Those who are planning to make a more permanent transition to the area and no longer have residency in their home state MUST apply for BOTH an Oklahoma tag (license plate) AND driver’s license.  It is illegal to have a drivers license from one state and a license plate/tag from another.
  • Shop around for new insurance policies, especially auto coverage.
  • PLEASE NOTE:  Oklahoma REQUIRES that you carry current proof of liability insurance on your vehicle at all times.  In addition, even if you are maintaining your business relationship with your current insurance provider, you will still need to contact them to let them know that you are now living in Oklahoma.  Special adjustments often apply to those with an Oklahoma address.
  • SPECIAL NOTE FOR STUDENTS UNDER 21:  We have many parents ask if their child is still able to remain on their medical or other insurance policies as a dependent.  The answer to that will depend on your individual company and policy.  Keep in mind that RBTC is a training center and we cannot consider ourselves a college because we are not accredited.  Some insurance companies are very specific that the school has to be accredited in order for coverage to be in effect, but because those who come here are still considered full-time students, many will still honor the ongoing coverage.  You’ll want to be sure to clarify with your insurance agent what their specific policy is.  Once an applicant has been enrolled in September, if requested, we can send a letter of verification to the insurance company.  Please note, however, that while this letter indicates the student’s full-time status, we must also make a disclaimer that we are not accredited.
  • If you have not made arrangements for absentee voting through your home state, be sure to register to vote in Oklahoma.  You will need to take care of this as soon as possible in order to be eligible to vote in fall elections.
  • Revise your will and other legal papers to avoid longer probate and higher legal fees.
  • Locate the hospitals and doctor’s offices, police stations, veterinarian (if applicable) and fire stations near your home.